Pay by phone casinos have been on the rise over the last few years. They present a unique payment option for those looking to make small transactions. And it isn’t only casino deposits that make use of this payment method.
But before we get into the question of ethics, let’s take a look at how this payment gateway works and what are some of the pros and cons.
What is a pay by phone casino?
A pay by phone casino is simply another name for a casino brand that has the facility to accept deposits via your top-up credit or monthly phone bill.
When a casino player needs to get some cash into their account, they are able to select this option. All of the major network providers in the UK offer this service to various companies including gambling operators.
And depending on the transaction type, the money will come directly off your credit balance or it will be applied to your monthly phone bill.
Benefits of using a pay by mobile Casino
One of the major benefits is security. You aren’t parting with any sensitive bank data. Therefore, only your mobile phone number is exposed during the process. But thanks to the encrypted security measures, no outside sources are able to see this either.
Secondly, it is incredibly fast. Pay by mobile casinos already have the necessary security clearance from the network carrier. So the cash can move instantly from your credit or monthly bill.
Finally, the small transaction limits stop customers from spending too much cash. It is only possible to deposit £10 at a time. And you can only do this three times a day.
Disadvantages of using a pay by phone Casino
Firstly, you are unable to use this method to complete a withdrawal from a casino. Cash moves in one direction at a pay by phone casino. So you will need another banking method available in case you hit a win.
As we mentioned before, the transaction limits are very small. This could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. If you are looking to play with a sizable amount of cash, then this type of transaction is definitely not adequate for your needs.
The ethical conundrum
Some commentators believe that allowing people to pay with phone credit should end. Here, we will take a look at each of the arguments and look at both sides of the story.
The arguments against
1. Critics say that it is targeting people with low incomes who don’t have other means to support a gambling hobby.
2. Mobile phones are available to people under 18. And this makes it easier for underage customers to access casino games.
3. Even though transaction limits are low, it is still possible for a player to end up with a huge phone bill at the end of the month.
The arguments for
1. Firstly, it is obvious that not only people with low incomes use top-up credit to fund their mobile phones. People from all walks of life decide against having a monthly contract with a mobile phone provider.
Some customers simply prefer to know exactly where they are with their finances each month. Therefore, it is impossible to say exactly what type of customer is likely to use this payment gateway.
2. Mobile phones are readily available for people of all ages. Mobile providers have to perform a credit check on all of their customers. This is to ensure that the customer has the financial means to pay their bill each month. So anyone under the age of 18 is unable to access a mobile phone contract.
However, this doesn’t stop people of all ages from getting a pay as you go mobile instead. But even though an under 18 may have a mobile, they still won’t be able to sign up for an account at a casino. UK laws are very clear and have introduced know your customer protocols. Casino brands perform rigorous checks on their new players and this includes their identification.
3. It is possible for a customer to add £30 to their mobile phone bill every day for a month. As a result, they could deposit over £900 each month using this method. So perhaps there should be strict limits in place on an individual basis. If a customer goes over a certain limit, then maybe the network provider should contact them to make sure that they are not exceeding their monthly budget.
But while £900 per month may be a lot for some people, for others it might not be.
So as you see, there are good reasons both for and against this bill payment solution. But it is very subjective. And you need to decide for yourself. If you are keen to try out this payment gateway, then you can get an up-to-date list of casinos accepting payments via phone bill, at casino.xyz.