BRADFORD BID’s spectacular fireworks extravaganza – watched by more than 10,000 people last year – is to take place again on Saturday, November 12.
The city’s Business Improvement District (BID) is organising the massive show to coincide with the switching on of Bradford’s Christmas Lights and the start of the festive shopping and leisure season.
The professionally-organised and delivered display will be accompanied by music and should be visible across the city from within the Ring Road, with some rockets reaching more than 700ft high.
There are likely to be fewer road closures this year because the demolition of last year’s launch platform – the NCP car park in Hall Ings – will be underway and the display will be activated from a different site but organisers say the best place to view it will again be from City Park.
Ian Ward, chairman of the BID – the limited company funded by more than 600 levy-paying businesses and organisations to help promote and develop the city centre – said: “Our first fireworks event last year was absolutely stunning, the biggest anyone can ever remember taking place in the city centre.
“It really marked the city getting back on its feet after the Covid lockdowns and it showed just what the BID can achieve for those who live, work and do business here.
“The fact that between 10,000 and 12,000 people came out to watch the display from City Park was simply brilliant!”
This year’s event will again be limited to 12 minutes and will be a completely different display to that staged last year.
BID manager Jonny Noble said: “We’re announcing this now – with nearly two months to go – so that everyone will know it’s happening and anyone who is particularly sensitive to such events, or worries about their pets, has lots of time to plan ahead and make sure they take precautions.
“We’re in contact with the local branch of the RSPCA and they will be making information available on their website with guidance on how to ensure your animals are safe from any loud noises which, of course, also applies to any local neighbourhood bonfires at this time of year.
“We can’t realistically create a noiseless display – the whizz-bang of fireworks is all part of the fun and the tradition of a display of this type. At the end of the day, this is a 12-minute display, early on a Saturday evening, which brings an enormous amount of joy to a large number of people; the smiling faces and whoops of sheer pleasure at last year’s display were testament to the belief that this is something that the vast majority of local people want to happen on an annual basis.”
Mr Noble said the event was also good for local businesses, bringing in huge footfall to the city centre and helping to provide much-needed income.
“We also hope such a big, safe, professionally-organised display – paid for by city centre businesses for the benefit of their customers – will help to deter some of the random, poorly-run local launches which plague parts of the city around bonfire night.
“It should not, in any way, be equated with the random anti-social behaviour of some individuals who choose to set off fireworks in public places at wholly inappropriate times. Indeed, we believe the use of fireworks should always be within safe, controlled environments and would hope that a display of this quality would help negate the need for anyone to carry out illegal, localised discharges.”
He said the BID would be contacting city centre residents advising them of the event and the essential safety precautions, and details regarding the closure of a few nearby roads for a short time will be announced nearer the event.