Every Saturday and Wednesday until 26 September 2018
Visitors to York’s newest horticultural installation – the Plant Pavilion and Archilace in the Artists Garden at York Art Gallery – will be inspired to grow, explore and even write over the coming month with free workshops every Saturday and Wednesday in the run-up to the new media arts festival York Mediale, which runs 27 September – 6 October 2018.
A host of gardening and insect experts, along with an award-winning poet will be leading the free sessions, which will run every Wednesday and Saturday (from 2.00pm to 4.00pm unless otherwise indicated). “The Pollinarium itself will be added to the wooden Pavilion and woven Archilace for the Mediale, which have been created by the internationally-renowned Loop.pH, but in the meantime, we want people to engage with the structure – learning about its goals and inspiration, and picking up tips on growing, the importance of pollenating insects and even going hunting for minibeasts,” comments Gemma Holsgrove, creative producer for York Mediale.
Upcoming workshops include:
- ‘Buzzing’ with award-winning writer, Anneleise Emmans Dean (ages 5-11) on Saturday 1 September – an opportunity to write, listen to and join in poems featuring the creatures who inhabit the garden and Museums Gardens beyond.
- Wildlife-friendly gardening walk (all ages, Wednesday 5 September) when the team from St Nicks explore the best wildlife-friendly plants for your garden.
- Bees, Butterflies and More (families, Saturday 8 September) – a mini-beast hunt led by Phil of Green Underwing and discover how bees are so important to the food we eat, and how ladybirds are masters of disguise.
- Seed collection (Wed 12 September) – a chance to wander around the gardens to collect, and then sow, seeds from native wildflowers.
- Pollinator Crafts (Sat 15 September, not suitable for young children) – weaving willow to make dragonflies and bees with Angela Cole from York Hurdles. 30 minutes slots running 1 – 5pm.
- Night-time Safari (Saturday 22 September, 7.30pm – 9.30pm, aimed at families) – a dusk wildlife walk, scouting for bats, moths, beetles and more! Bring a torch to explore!
For more information, or a full programme of events in York Mediale, please visit yorkmediale.com