With 2021 set to be the year of the staycation, there couldn’t be a better time to explore Yorkshire with our dogs. It can be difficult to find places to visit and eat that allow dogs, let alone welcome them as much as their human companions! Fortunately, dog-friendly holiday provider Canine Cottages has crunched the TripAdvisor data to find the most dog-friendly places to go in Yorkshire.
Based on the percentage of reviews on TripAdvisor suggesting a place was dog-friendly, they found the most dog-friendly beaches, places to visit, pubs and cafes across the county, which can also be found in this handy interactive map.
Finding a beach where your hounds can roam freely isn’t always easy, due to different seasonal restrictions applying to various beaches. Luckily, TripAdvisor users have come to the rescue and suggested that the most dog-friendly beaches in Yorkshire are:
- Mappleton Beach, East Riding
- Fraisthorpe Beach, Fraisthorpe, East Riding
- Cayton Bay Beach, North Yorkshire
- Saltburn Beach, North Yorkshire
- Filey Beach, North Yorkshire
- Sandsend Beach, Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Robin Hoods Bay Beach, North Yorkshire
- Hornsea Beach, East Riding
- Bridlington North Beach, East Riding
- Scarborough Beach, North Yorkshire
A whopping 30% of the total reviews left for Salcombe North commented on its dog-friendliness, making it the beach in Devon to head to with your dog this summer.
If a day at the beach isn’t for you, the other top dog-friendly places to visit for a day out are:
- Oakwell Hall and Country Park, Birstall, West Yorkshire
- Guisborough Forest, Guisborough, North Yorkshire
- RSPB St Aiden’s Nature Park, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Arboretum, Castle Howard, North Yorkshire
- Ogden Water Country Park and Nature Reserve, Halifax, West Yorkshire
- Waterton Discovery Centre and Angler’s Country Park, Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- Rabbit Ings Country Park, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- Cusworth Hall, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- St Ives Estate, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Locke Park, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Offering a real mix of attractions, it’s clear to see reviewers agree there are great places to go in Yorkshire with your dog, whatever your interests are.
Feeling peckish? Canine Cottages have rounded up the top dog-friendly places to eat across Yorkshire too. 53% of visitors to Skipton’s Kibble Bakery raved about its dog-friendliness, while the top pub, The Endeavour Pub in Whitby had similar praise from 32% of its visitors.
Below is the full top 10:
- Kibble Bakery, Skipton, North Yorkshire
- Bliss Cafe, Thirsk, North Yorkshire
- Beckett’s, Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Salami & Co, Otley, West Yorkshire
- Mocha, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- The Endeavour Pub, Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Zetland Cafe, Redcar, North Yorkshire
- The Beach Hut, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire
- The Cocoa Tree, Helmsley, North Yorkshire
- Cafe Society, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Canine Cottages have also released the Dog-Friendly Index, a handy tool where you’ll find these and even more dog-friendly places as recommended by TripAdvisor reviewers.
Covering the entirety of the UK, and featuring helpful filters for finding your perfect kind of day out or place to visit, the Dog-Friendly Index is a must-have tool for dog owners. Each place that has been featured has also been given a useful paw rating out of 5, with only places rated 3 paws or higher featuring in the tool.
Shannon Keary, Digital PR Manager at Canine Cottages, said: “With so many more people looking to explore what’s on their own doorstep with their dogs this summer, it’s fantastic to see the sheer number and diversity of places that welcome dogs across the country; hopefully this can only continue to grow.
We hope that our Dog-Friendly Index tool helps to highlight the top spots for dog owners to visit near them, as well as highlight some hidden gems they may not have been aware of.”