Skipton has been named among the happiest places to live in the UK in the annual Happy at Home Index.
The survey, which is carried out by property website Rightmove surveyed over 22,000 people who were asked to rate their town on 12 happiness factors – with questions based on green space, community spirit, safety, sports and recreational opportunities, local services, amenities and cultural avtivities.
Skipton was placed in 4th position, after Hexham in Northumberland, Harrogate and Richmond-on-Thames.
More than 22,000 people from 194 places across Great Britain told us how happy they are where they live, and the results are in…
Congratulations to Hexham in Northumberland! The quaint market town has been crowned the happiest place to live in Rightmove’s 2019 Happy at Home Index. Harrogate in Yorkshire came second, with Richmond upon Thames in third.”
Rightmove’s insights expert Lydia Yao added: “This just goes to show that people place enormous value on living somewhere that they’re proud to call home.
“Our results also show that having friendly neighbours and being able to be yourself remain hugely important factors when measuring the happiest places to live in Great Britain.”
Here are the top 10 happiest places to live, according to Rightmove, with the average asking price on a home followed by the average monthly asking rent for a two-bedroom property:
1. Hexham, North East, £254,237, £605
2. Harrogate, Yorkshire and the Humber, £341,524, £776
3. Richmond-upon-Thames, London, £815,717, £1,723
4. Skipton, Yorkshire and the Humber, £233,274, £622
5. Llandrindod Wells, Wales, £145,016, £478
6. Altrincham, North West, £520,899, £915
7. Monmouth, Wales, £310,050, £665
8. Dorchester, South West, £295,124, £799
9. Sevenoaks, South East, £684,806, £1,241
10. Southport, North West, £209,360, £609
And here are the happiest regions and nations in Britain ranked from most to least happy, according to Rightmove:
1. South West
2. South East
3. East of England
6. East Midlands
7. Yorkshire and the Humber
8. North East
10. West Midlands